Print this page
- Fasting is an essential aspect of practicing the Orthodox life. We cannot be Orthodox, and not fast.
- Fasting is the first commandment known to mankind, for God commanded Adam and Eve to eat from all the trees, except from one tree not to eat from its fruits.
- Fasting in Our Coptic Orthodox Church is to fast from Midnight to Sunset, and excluding the consumption of any animal products.
- The main fasting is the Great Lent, and than the Church added: Advent fast, Apostle's fast, St. Mary's fast, three days of Jonah, and Wednesday & Friday.
- Through fasting we can gain self-control, and overcoming bad habits, so we can get our life to be according to God's will.
- Fasting can prepares us to make the right decision. For example Our Lord Jesus Christ spent time in fasting and prayer before any major decision in the plan of our Salvation.
- We can pray without fasting, and we can fast without prayer, but when prayers and fasting are together and dedicated to God 's glory we reach their full usefulness.